MalibuKitesurfing.NET 310-430-KITE (5483)
Serving Los Angeles, Ventura, Santa Barbara and Orange counties
Home Lessons Services Glossary Contact us
Malibu Kitesurfing's new
BETWEEN YOUR LESSONS WITH
OF THE BENEFITS OF OWNING
WHY WE CREATED OUR RETURNABLE KITE PROGRAM:
Although most people who purchase our 10 Hour Lesson Package understand that they'll have to practice in order to actually become a kitesurfer (why practice is essential), many decide not to purchase a harness, kite, bar & lines and wind meter until AFTER they've taken all or most of their lessons. They make this choice because of the understandable and valid concern that much of this substantial investment could be lost if they decide that learning is impractical or that they would prefer other products.
Unfortunately, this approach prevents the most cost-effective way of accelerating how to learn kitesurfing/kiteboarding, which is to practice what was covered in the previous lesson(s) for 2 to 10 hours before taking the next lesson. Not only do you get VASTLY MORE VALUE from your lessons, but YOUR ENTIRE TIME commitment becomes MUCH more productive.
Novices can not rent kitesurfing kites because the very few establishments that offer kitesurfing kite rentals require that kiters have intermediate level skills. Additionally, the rental cost is usually about $100 per DAY. Furthermore, almost all require signing a dangerously unconscionable WAIVER designed to FOREVER eliminate many critically important legal rights to help advance an unrelated nefarious business purpose.
We have designed our program as a purchase with option for return because it eliminates the many administrative and operational problems which prevent us from offering kitesurfing kite rentals with anywhere near the same value.
BENEFITS OF HAVING EQUIPMENT WHILE TAKING KITESURFING LESSONS:
1. You can get about 30 MINUTES of ADDITIONAL FREE lesson time by having your kite already set up. Do this at 4 lessons and you get about 2 ADDITIONAL HOURS FREE.
2. Practicing between lessons not only reinforces
and develops the kitesurfing skills you recently learned but also prevents them
from fading away due to lack of use.
3. More importantly, you will find your next kitesurfing lesson MUCH easier and productive due to more confident kite control and understanding.
4. You can utilize and benefit from CANCELLED lessons. Regrettably, there will likely be occasions when you arrive but conditions are not appropriate for the type of lesson you want. Although it can be disappointing when you can't have the lesson that was planned, if you have a kite, your trip can still be productive because it's likely that you can always practice something with your own kite even though it isn't worth using lesson time to do so.
5. Tremendously increases the possibility of practicing in conditions closer to ideal for any particular type of kitesurfing activity. Without equipment, your ONLY opportunity to practice is during the small window of scheduled lesson time which is always further reduced by the need to cover other material. On the other hand, with equipment, your opportunities expand to whatever amount of time you have available. Additionally, unlike most lesson time, you may be able to select the best of several locations and you're more likely to be able to take advantage of improving conditions by waiting.
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS SPECIFIC TO OUR RETURNABLE KITE PROGRAM:
6. If returned, an INCREDIBLY LOW hourly
cost . The first MONTH may be as low as
7. No large, permanent investment
required (Compare to New Purchase).
DISADVANTAGES SPECIFIC TO
OUR RETURNABLE KITE PROGRAM:
1. Availability is limited. Although we have some smaller kites, most are large and may not suitable for people weighing less than 150 lbs.
2. The kites are various older used Peter Lynn models in fair to like new condition and whose flying characteristics vary from acceptable to excellent but may still be considered obsolete. We always strongly recommend NEW equipment for several reasons, but primarily because their overall advantages promote the important goal of making learning as EASY AS POSSIBLE. By avoiding the potential problems associated with any eliminated difficulty, needed skills will be learned FASTER.
Water relaunchability is comparatively important for novices who can be expected to crash their kites relatively often, have less relaunching skills and will often be dealing with lighter wind which makes any kite harder to relaunch. Unfortunately, kites become more difficult to relaunch when too much air has been lost and used kites usually lose air faster if crashed than new kites. Although we'll explain how this possible problem can be substantially minimized, new kites are the best way to avoid problems caused by excessively fast air loss. Additionally, design elements of older models make relaunching when crashed (generally in surf) less likely due to greater propensity to take in water.
Generally, a kite crashed in the surf provides significantly increased opportunity for problems, some of which are relatively dangerous and best avoided as much as possible.
On the plus side, a kite which fails to relaunch can provide opportunity to practice essential self-rescue skills and may increase motivation to improve flying skills.
3. Launching, landing and relaunching techniques are similar or almost identical to the current Peter Lynn model (Charger), however the Charger's bar/lines is somewhat different and practice therefore won't include dealing with said differences.
4. All models require more effort to steer than the current model. However, this disadvantage is minimal and may in fact be an advantage as applied to anticipated Program participant usage.
5. In general it is most beneficial to practice with the kite you intend to actual kitesurf with because there is no opportunity to waste time and effort dealing with problems and/or characteristics specific to a kite you won't be using. Likewise, any features of a new kite which weren't part of your practice kite, will require some amount of extra effort to get used to, possibly without the benefit of instruction.
This problem is most critical regarding Quick Release activation because it is the first and most important action which should be developed as the most automatic reflex possible. Whenever a kiter uses a new Quick Release which is activated differently, much of the existing reflex must be thoroughly unlearned as part of learning the new reflex and this usually makes learning the new reflex slower.
6. Malibu Kitesurfing makes NO WARRANTY, GUARANTEE OR REPRESENTATION OF ANY KIND regarding the completeness, condition, life expectancy, usability, or value of any used or new equipment. Likewise Malibu Kitesurfing makes no representation that any equipment used or new, is in fact safe or appropriate for any particular use including, but not limited to, recommended uses such as practicing kitesurfing activities.
7. At this time, we do not provide kiteboards as part of this program and generally do NOT recommend that you practice with one until you have water relaunched your kite enough times so that you do not get overly anxious when it crashes. However, we'll be glad to provide shopping advice or order you a new one discounted from retail.
RETURNABLE KITE PROGRAM
Please call us at
Offer may vary without notice.
© 2005 - 11 Malibu Kitesurfing - all rights reserved page updated 6/15/11